Helping Dental Patients Find Comfort
At C R Dental Group, in Dallas, Texas, Dr. James Reisman and Dr. Jordana Contrucci strive to provide total patient care. Their primary objective is to make sure their patients achieve and maintain excellent oral health. They understand that optimal oral health leads to better overall well-being. One problem that many patients contend with is dry mouth, which can result in dental decay.
As expressed in Todays Dental News:
“Dry mouth is a problem for both the patient and the dentist. There is the uncomfortable feeling for the patient, but more importantly, there is the risk of dental caries that ruins good teeth and previous dental work. The causes of dry mouth could be anything from aging to medications to radiation treatment, most of which cannot be changed.”
It can be bothersome and uncomfortable, but there are strategies that can minimize the effects of this problem.
- Drink water frequently
- Utilize brushing and flossing aids, including high fluoride toothpaste
- Suck on sugarless lozenges
- Use carbamide peroxide to raise the pH in the mouth
- Chlorhexidine aids in gingival health (but can cause staining of the teeth)
- Chew green tea gum and xylitol chewing gum, if there are no temporomandibular joint (TMJ) issues, to stimulate saliva
- Patients of Sjogren’s syndrome and radiation treatments may be prescribed medications Pilocarpine and Cevimeline
- Limit alcohol and caffeine intake
- Use a humidifier at night to provide moisture in the air
Talk to Your Dentist
Because not every situation is the same, your dentist can help determine the possible cause of your dry mouth disorder, and help you reduce or eliminate the symptoms of dry mouth and the resultant outcome of dental decay. It’s important to see your dentist regularly so that your condition can be monitored and caries can be treated sooner rather than later.