Prevention and Treatment Options For Loose Teeth in Adults
Although loose teeth cannot always be prevented, measures can be taken to reduce the risk. Dr. James Reisman and Dr. Jordana Contrucci at C R Dental Group located in Dallas, Texas remind patients of the importance of regular dental visits. They know that by maintaining good oral health, many dental afflictions can be quickly addressed, preventing further complications and more costly reparations.
According to Medical News Today, following are some tips for tooth and gum health:
- brushing the teeth thoroughly twice a day
- flossing once a day
- refraining from smoking
- attending dental checkups and cleanings as often as recommended
- wearing a properly fitted mouth guard while playing sports
- wearing a bite splint, when nighttime grinding or clenching is an issue
- asking a doctor about calcium and vitamin D supplementation to help prevent osteoporosis
- keeping diabetes under control, as diabetes is a risk factor for gum disease
- being aware of medications that may affect the teeth
In the event a tooth, or teeth, become loose, you should make your dentist aware. After an evaluation to determine the cause, there are treatment options available that can help prevent further loss. A deep cleaning, called scaling and root planing, can treat and reverse gum disease. Medications or mouth rinses can help combat bacteria in the mouth. In more severe cases, soft tissue grafts may be required or bone grafts to rebuild bone lost to gum disease. A dental appliance may be recommended in the case of grinding or clenching. If a loose tooth falls out your dentist can restore your smile with a dental bridge or implant. At C R Dental Group, we are here to help our patients have the best chance of success when it comes to oral health.